Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Guay o Mola?

So, Tuesday night after our classes, Tema and I decided that it was time to explore the city nightlife. We went out around 11 and headed towards the center of town, where all the bars, tapas places, and clubs were open. Tema, new friend named Michelle, and I headed to a bar called El Tigre (famous for cheap drinks and lots of free food); its really popular with the young student crowd. However, when we got there it was closed!!!! And while we were standing there wondering why, a three American guys came up to us and started talking to us. We weren´t too keen on them, especially since they were American and didn't even try to speak Spanish even though they had been here for 6 months! So we went on our way looking for another place to go.

We came upon this street known as ¨La Calle de Letras¨because it has poems written on the ground (Laura, you'd like this). This street, called Huertas, had tons of bars to go too. After scouting some out, we decided on one called "El Bodeguito". We went in, enjoyed the music and a drink (mojito yum). After that we headed out and met some other Americans from WashU. Their names are Tyler (the nice white boy who could dance really well....ADAM YOU MUST LEARN HOW TO DANCE LIKE HIM), Breck(a girl who was so drunk she didn´t even know what her school was), and Drew(the guy Breck decided to go make out with). Along with them was an odd Mexican guy called Guillermo. We went to another club/bar called Sol y Sombra. We danced and had another drink. While there, two pretty old guys started hitting on Tema and I. One guy was Spanish and the other "an artist from Holland" who seemed to like my hands for some reason (he drew a dragon on it with a marker....strange? Oh yeah). Our new American buddies left us and we were alone with the two old men. After much maneuvering Tema and I managed to escape, though they tracked us down and asked us to dance. They told us that they were 21 and 23, but they clearly weren´t. We could tell. Fernando, the Spaniard, had a liking to me and put his arm around me. That was my cue to inform him of the buff boyfriend I had waiting for me(right Adam? ;] ), and we we left the bar (it was closing time anyway). We wondered around the streets for a bit. It was late, and yet the streets of Madrid were full of people (not crowded like Disney crowded, but lets just say you were never the only person on the street).

Apparently we seemed lost, thus a young Madrileno approached us and walked us to our destination (toward home of course). He meandered us through the streets of Madrid, talking endlessly about anything (how he studied abroad in London, how he wanted to practice his English with us, how people don´t seem too different even though they are from different parts of the world, how my Spanish was really good,....anything!) This guy, who´s name is Daniel but likes being called Danni (yes spelled like the girl, though he is not a girl), explained to us the uses of ¨guay" and "mola" which both mean cool. However, "mola" is used by people called "pijones" or something of the sort. He tried telling us that "es como un estilo de ser: hablar, caminar, vestir....como alguin quien se ve 'cool' pero no lo es....es como decir un "guido"...." Danni had some funny descriptions, especially when he was trying to tell us that they use "H&S" shampoo (he meant head and shoulders) because they use so much gel in their hair they get dandruff...Anyway after having interesting conversations with him, he ran into some other guy from Colombia named Andres, who was trying to get us to go to his nightclub where una banda de rock n roll estaba tocando.....He then proceeded to tell me that he eats iguana eggs. Yup, the conversation switched into strange foods that though sound gross you should try because its an experience! Once the conversation of lizards and kidneys passed, Danni found us a cab and we exchanged numbers so we could hang out again. Tema and I made it home and passed out.

The next day was a trip to one of the many museums here in Madrid. This one is called Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza. It's three stories of different art, including some Piccaso, Goya, Miro, Velazquez, Dali, and even Degas. We wondered around for about 3 hours, then ate lunch outside and headed to class. Class here is the most interactive Spanish class I have ever had in my life. Since its only 4 of us its almost like its one-on-one. Our first prof, who's name is Angel, is from el Pais Vasco. He's all about the creativity and imagination. He likes doing activities were we have to think of things on the spot (which can be scary sometimes, and hilarious other times). He's such a cutie :).....our other prof is Abel from Cadiz. He's got this laid back attitude. He's just such an interesting person and persona; its hard to explain him. You just have to experience him. The one cool thing though is that for the last 30 minutes of class on Tuesday he just told us of all the cool places to go hang out. It was awesome.

While everything was going smoothly, I noticed that my phone was gone! I searched through my piso, mis pantalones, en la escuela. It was no where in sight. I even had my friends call it to see if it would ring. The number was disconnected. So, this meant that someone had TAKEN MY PHONE!!!!! I was pissed. Really pissed. Now I was disconnected from my family, my friends here, and I lost all the numbers of my new Spanish friends who don't go to school with me. JOOOOOOOOOOOOOODER! And so, my perfect trip hit a hiccup. I went and bought a new phone, which didn't end up pretty cheap. So things got back on track.

After a very interesting and long night out, we decided to take it easy last night. We met up with some friends from school and headed out to find some sangria. What a night to go out. It seemed like everyone (and I mean EVERYONE: old people, young people, really really really young people) was out last night. This is why: today there is not work; its a day off because their independence day, 2 de Mayo, fell on a Saturday, so no one could get the day off. So, they moved it to today, so that people could get a day off. And thus, everyone went out to party and have a good time since they would sleep in today. Anyway, we found this bar/club where they had free drinks from 11 to 12. Free sangria? You bet! So we went in, had some sangria and left. We then found this other place called 41, where the promoter got us to go in by giving us these electric blue drinks. It wasn't bad. Then we decided to dance for a bit before the metro shut down at 1:30. So we danced and headed out to the metro. We were late and feared that it wasn't running anymore, but it seems that because of the holiday today, it was running later last night. While waiting for the metro, we found a very interesting dispenser: a condom machine. Yet, if you ever need one while on the metro, it'll only cost you 50 cent euro!.......bwahaha.....

So, because today nothing is open, there is nothing to do :(
Thus, I came to school to use the wifi and update my blog, upload some photos, and eat some food.

Espero que gusteis mi blog!

6 comments:

  1. I can too dance well! I'm just afraid of hurting people with these mad muscles.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you compare crowdedness to Disney. Not, say, New York, Pittsburgh, or even Miami but Disney. That's amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A street with poems on the ground? Please tell me you have pictures! And that sucks about your phone

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah well, alll I could think of at the moment was Disney. Because it felt like it.

    And don't worry Laura I'll take picture for you :]

    ReplyDelete