Friday, June 19, 2009

Random Stuff

So I know I’ve talked a lot about what I’ve done in my free time, so I figured I’d tell you a little about my school .

So here’s the run down on Estudio Sampere.

There are tons of students from all over the world, but mainly the US. There are usually large group of kids from one university, like BC. They always stick together, have classes together, go on field trips together and never interact with anyone. Then there are what is called “El Grupo General” which comprises of the CMU girls (Michelle, Stephanie, Tema, and I), the Minnesotan girls (Lauren and Beth), Ashley from Connecticut, the high school Spanish teacher from Texas (Michelle, who’s become a really good friend of mine despite the age difference), Brittany from Atlanta, Ralph (the awesome 79 year old man from St. Petersburg, FL who just came to study because he wants to keep his mind sharp and has always wanted to study Spanish; he’s such a cutie), Eugenio from Amsterdam (he likes to take LOTS of pictures, usually using his tripod), Micha from Germany, Maria from Hamburg, Tanya (a young woman who lost her job, and so decided to go all over Europe for a year and learn various languages), Maria and Nick (two co-workers who came to improve their conversational skills, though they are both native speakers. Nick is awesome, he’s a like a big brother to me, watching out for the creepers who want to hit on me haha), and others who come and go but I’ve never actually talked to or met. Most of us don’t have class together but we all know each other because we either all started at the same time, or we know someone who has class with them or someone who lives with them or we went on a field trip with them.

Classes are strange here in Sampere. You can either have morning or afternoon classes. Each one consisting of two 1.5 hour classes with a 30 minute break in the middle; so you either get done really early (like 12:30) or really late (7pm) . You never know if your classes will work out the same or if you’ll even have the same professors that week. Having classes in the morning allow you to have the afternoon free to do whatever you want. However, you have to get up early, going out late is impossible, and going shopping or doing much in the afternoon doesn’t work out since things close from 2:30 to 5 for the siesta y almuerzo. Having classes in the afternoon make your days seem really long and you get home really late, the up side is you have to morning to do whatever you want (sleep, eat, go shopping since stores aren’t closed, visit places) and because you have the morning free you can go out late and sleep in. So really, it depends on what you like. Right now, I wish I had classes between the two so that I can still do stuff and go out and go shopping but still have classes somewhat early.

Every Monday there is “La Copa de Bienvenido” since every week new students come; everyone who comes gets a free glass of either: wine, sangria, or a soda. Every Wednesday there is a museum trip. They do it so that we don’t get too worked up on our classes and such. Every Thursday night there is some sort of activity, such as a flamenco dance or tapas or play or something that is cultural. Every Saturday there is an excursion to some awesome place.

The way we are taught here is so different from what I’m used to. Since none of the teachers here understand English, you can’t ask how to say something in Spanish, you just have to blab on describing what you are trying to say. We do a lot of improvised activities and things that make you think on the stop. I actually really like it, since I get to actually talk a lot in class and practice my Spanish. In high school I barely participated because I didn’t like the class and because all the girls were way better than me and more willing to participate. Class at CMU is nothing compared to my high school classes (no offense CMU). Since most people aren’t native speakers like they were in Miami, the teacher was a lot easier on them and didn’t correct them as much when they said un disparate so my Spanish didn’t improve all that much. But here, since there are only 4 of us and I’m the best “speaker” and worst “writer” (when they ask me to say a sentence using the preterito del pluscuamperfecto I just freeze up; I mean, its not like I remember these grammatical rules. I don’t even remember the ones I learned for English! I can carry a conversation perfectly, but they ask me to spit out rules I have no clue what to say…) I get a lot of practice. I actually, for once, like Spanish class. I for once feel in my element.

We sometimes have homework, and it’s never much. Usually it just some exercises in the workbook. We also have an exam every other week to see if we’re ready to advance to the next level. Let’s hope I know what they mean when they ask me for the pluscuamperfecto, right?

2 comments:

  1. plus...que ? boy if they put me in that class I would fail miserably...who remembers that ! eso se aprende en tercer o cuarto grado.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡exactamente! la señnora me pregunto si you había estudiado las reglas antes y le dije que sí. entonces me preguntó por que no sabia que decirle. y le dige que yo puedo hablar bastante bien y que había olvidado las reglas. es lo mismo con el ingles. si alguin me pregunta por una regla en ingles, no me voy alcordar!

    ReplyDelete