Tuesday, July 14, 2009

No Strings Attached....DUN DUN

Once back in Alicante, we headed home took showers and had ourselves a home-cooked dinner. Afterwards, we decided to go explore Alicante on a Saturday night. We really didn’t know what to do (and we still don’t!) so we just walked around for a bit. We finally settled on a place that had an open table outside and ordered a drink. While sitting there though, a homeless man was throwing things at us. It was kind of weird and gross. A pair of French guys sitting near us invited us to sit with them because of the homeless man throwing things. As one of them said, “we saved your life”. The two Frenchmen were on holiday in Alicante for week and decided to go out. One was named Julian and the other Fabian. Neither of them spoke Spanish, and only one spoke English. And so it was quite interesting trying to have a conversation with them. After having a drink with them and going to other places such as other bars and some discotecas. It was an interesting night to say the least. It was one of those times I wish I knew how to say “sorry I have a boyfriend” in French. As 5 AM rolls around, we decide that it’s a good time to head home.

Sunday afternoon we decide to go to a beach we had heard about from our host parents and other students called San Juan. It’s on the other side of Alicante where the beach is much longer and wider, making it seem like there are much less people than in the beaches near our school. Tema and I invited our other housemate Karen (the quiet high school girl) to go with us. Our host mom was so excited that all three of us were going that she made each of us lunches and gave us a 2 liter bottle of cold water to share (along with cute little cups). I think she was just happy that Karen was going out. And so, we trekked down to the tram station and caught the tram to Casa Blanco where San Juan beach is situated. It was a very sunny and windy day. A good combination because it never seems as hot as I really is. Also, the wind made the water a bit wavy, so it was fun. Also, since there were three of us we could take turns watching the stuff: as one person stayed behind tanning/reading/sleeping the other two could go to the water. I spent lots of time swimming, tanning, and taking a nap on the sand (funny story: I had my iPod on shuffle while lying on the sand, and the last song I heard before I fell asleep got stuck in my head. It was a really random one too: No Strings Attached….yeah. its been stuck in my head for two days). After 4 or 5 hours at the beach we decided it was time to go home and pass out (after a delicious dinner of course: berenjena rellena).

Monday our classes switched to the morning. It was a nice change since walking to class was not as stressful (not as hot at 8:30 in the morning than it is at 1:30 in the afternoon). We also had a new teacher named Teresa. She was really nice and pretty laid back. She has a habit of making these really funny noises when she talks about something that she doesn’t like. The noise makes me want to burst out in laughter, but that’s rude so I just hold it in. Either way, class was as usual. As homework for Tuesday we had to think about something (a movie, a book, a band, anything!) that we really like or know really well and talk about it to the class. Guess what I picked….that’s right. THE BEATLES. Mwahahahahaha. I am excited to talk about them, though it will be challenging since I usually explain everything in English and not in Spanish. Fun times.

Afterwards I attempted to upload all my pictures until now, but I had too many and so I only succeeded in posting up until I left Madrid. I have yet to put up pictures from Alicante or Granada. But don’t worry. I will try to soon!

Until then!

2 comments: