Saturday, July 4, 2009

Poseidon, Mirame!

Thursday in class was an interesting one. For homework we had to talk about a festival or holiday of sorts in the US. Since Steph had taken the 4th of July, I decided to choose a festival that shuts down 8th ST in Miami every year: Calle Ocho. My professor, Elisa, had me standing at the board talking about this festival and about just anything Cuban for a really long time. I don’t know how long, but I was at the board writing things down and answering questions for twice as long as the other girls. I felt like I was giving them a lesson on popular music in Cuban Americans with artists such as Celia Cruz, Gloria Estefan, Willy Chirino, as well as the younger artistas such as Pittbull and Orishas. I also had the pleasure of explaining what a guayabera is as well guayaba. It was fun, funny, and interesting to see how interested my professor was in my culture. The second class started up as usual after our break and went on as usual, but my professor said something interesting to me: that she and our professor depend on me a lot to help them explain things (like word definitions) to the other girls, so when I can’t figure out how to explain something or I forget what it is my 2nd prof says that my 1st prof used me too much and has tired me out so I forget everything I’ve ever known about Spanish. It was a strange comment, but at the same time it made me feel pretty special. Why? Well, because that means that don’t think I’m an idiot who doesn’t know anything, but rather they know that I actually know a lot, and they think that I have bigger vocabulary than I do. So, yeah, I felt pretty good about myself. After lunch in the park, we decided to rent one of the row boats in the lake en El Retiro. Us girls were having way too much fun trying to figure out how to row and doing two different takes of “I’m on a Boat” (that’s right, we have videos of us singing “I’m on a boat” while on a boat….we’re awesome). Those boats were so much fun, but it was way too hot so afterwards we got ice cream popsicle thing. Because we were outside in the sun for so long, I got a pretty funny looking tan on my feet from my gladiator sandals. Thursday night went on like any other: we met up in front of Tio Pepe sign/building and decided to go some bar and have drinks and talk.

Friday was our last day at Sampere in Madrid. So our classes consisted of a lot of games like TabĂș and vocabulary games. Those were fun. We also took pictures with our teachers. The only teacher I never got to take a picture was is one of the first week professors Angel (as steph calls him, the love of my life since I have a crush on him). We also got all of our arrangements for Alicante done and out of the way. All that was left was for us to celebrate our last Friday together in Madrid. So, we decided to make it a fun night. It started off with glasses of tinto de verano (Steph’s favorite new drink) with all our friends (the Sampere peeps: Me, Tema, Cristian, Michelle, Steph, Maike, Robert, Weston, Tomas, and Guillermo; our Madrid friends: Alejandro, Javi, y Diego aka Gonzo). Afterwards we headed to Sol y Sombra for some drinks and dancing. Then it was off to another place for some more relaxing activities—drinks and talking. Tema and I then took the first metro home and got some well deserved sleep. Yup, once again we got home at 7. But this time we had no excursion to go to so we could actually sleep! It was nice.

Now I'm here updating my blog, then packing my stuff up for my trip to Alicante. Tonight Cristian, Tema, Guillermo and I are going to a Cuban restaurant and then having our last drinks together in Madrid. Tomorrow Tema and I get on a train to Alicante noon and arrive there around 4 PM in the afternoon. Soon we will have two weeks of beach (and of course of class....)

Hopefully at my next home I will have some internets so I can update my blog and upload pictures more often.

Basta!

No comments:

Post a Comment