Thursday, July 9, 2009

La Playa

Tuesday morning comes around and Tema and I head off to the beach. It was scorching hot and we had no umbrella or any real sunscreen or beach towels! We got some cheap mats and sat on the sand for a bit. We weren’t planning on going in the water, but it was too damn hot. So, we took turns watching our stuff while the other went in the water. The water was divine. Usually I would say it was too cold and complain the whole way, but like I said before, the heat was so intense I just wanted to get in the water and cool off. And cool off I did. The weird thing was that no matter how far I went, the water never seemed to go past my hip, so I had to sit in the water. Once I got out and dried off, I decided that the sun was too intense. I packed my stuff and took Tema’s bag and headed for a bench in the shade. With no umbrella or sunscreen I felt like I was going to get cancer really fast. Tema wanted to stay a bit longer in the sun so I told her I’d watch her stuff if she wanted to go in the water. On my way to the bench I nearly burned the bottom of my feet. My flip flops and the sand were about the same temperature, so I decided either way it was going to hurt. And hurt it did. I thought my feet were going to burn off! And so, my very painful journey to the bench began. I finally made it and my feet somehow managed to get me there. While sitting on the bench I ate my lunch and watched Tema talk to these two guys who were sitting near us. They had been staring at us before, or at least I only noticed they did because I was eating one of my sandwiches and making my many wonderful messages, and one was staring at me. I was pretty sure he thought I was weird. In the end, Tema came to up and told me she wanted to see if they wanted to hang out later. And so we treaded back to the sand and told them so. They got our phone number and we headed to school (afternoon classes, remember?). We figured that they forget about us and never contact, but in the middle of class my phone started ringing. It was them calling us. They sent us a text message later (which was written entirely in Spanish slang, so it took me a while to figure out what they were saying) saying that they wanted to hang out but since we already had plans we had to make a rain check.

Speaking of class, class on Tuesday was a big one. Our teachers were sick so they combined our class with the one that’s a level below us. So basically, it was three hours of a review of something we did three weeks ago. It was annoying to say the least, considering we have an exam in two weeks on things we still need to learn. So having a review class on something we learned before and were tested on already was not fun. The class was boring to say the least. But the professor was pretty funny and entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment