Monday, July 13, 2009

Party? En tu casa?

Wednesday we went to the beach earlier than the day before. And we bought sunscreen. The most interesting thing about sunscreen here is that they only have SPF 3, 5,6,15 and 50. Whatever happened to SPF25, 35, or 45? Either way, after our 45 minute walk to the beach we settled ourselves in the sand and got down to business: tanning and reading. I started reading my new book for a bit then headed to the water to cool off. Tema and I took turns reading and swimming; while one was in the water the other was on the sand reading and watching each other’s stuff. There were much less people out that day and it was not as hot (it was hot, but it was bearable, or sort of bearable). We also saw these teenagers who had buried what looked like a giant yoga balls halfway in the sand. The other half that was sticking out of the ground they would use like a trampoline. They would run up to it, jump on it, and do flips and all this other neat moves. I’m sure they were just doing it to show off to all the girls around, but it was entertaining.

Afterwards we headed to class and actually had class. Our classmate Martin likes to bust out in random song every couple of minutes. Usually it was reggaetton song or bachata. It was really funny when he busted out in “Pasame la botella”. He was so loud that the people in the next classroom could hear him. To make him quiet down, our professor promised him that one day we would have a music day where we would listen to all sorts of Spanish music and do activities with it. Martin got very excited.

Aftwards we headed home, used some internet, and awaited another delicious dinner. This time it was tortilla espaƱol. However, it wasn’t the typical tortilla with patatas y cebolla. This one had chorizo con pimientos. The other one had tuna in it. They were delicious! We then waited around for the boys we had met at the beach to text/call us back. We had told them that we were free to do something that night. Since they had never contacted us back, and being out in the sun for 3ish hours had drained us, we passed out around midnight. At 1 am, while in a deep sleep, my phone went off. I grabbed the phone in the darkness and tried to orient myself. I didn’t recognize the number (or at least I didn’t think I did; I wasn’t wearing my glass and I’m quite blind—imagine in the darkness and disoriented!). I answer, and someone starts talking to me in Spanish. “Hola! Somos los chicos de la playa! Donde andan? Quieren salir ahora?” I told them I was at home, and they said they would come to our home and have a party. They sounded drunk. At this point I told Tema to turn the light on so I could find my glasses. I told her it was the boys and they wanted to party right then and there. It wasn’t that late to go out, but we had been sleeping, and the guys were no where near Alicante. I asked them where they were and one answered “En un pueblo, pero que te importa! Vamos a tu casa ahora para ser fiesta!” i was too tired to want to deal with them so i handed the pone to tema. They were her friends anyway (well not really, but she was the one who wanted to hang out with them, so I figured she could talk to them). From what I could understand from the one side I heard, they wanted to party now, at our home. They were probably drunk. She finally convinced them to meet us the next day at an early time, but it took about 30 minutes to do so. Afterwards we went back to sleep.

Thursday morning I woke up and wondered if I had dreamed that. When I realized that I hadn’t, I started laughing. How absurd! It almost felt like a booty call. Almost. But still.

Thursday we decided to try some restaurants near the school. We found one with el menu del dia. El menu del dia includes 3 courses and a drink for something around 9 euros. It’s a pretty good deal considering the amount of food they give you. We had so much to eat, and we were going to be late for class that we took our dessert to go. Our chocolate cake sat under our chairs the entire class, and all I could do was think about how I wanted to eat it. Either way, class was fun today. We talked Spanish culture with regards to norms of society, greetings, and gestures. We then played a game called “Medium” where one person pretended to be a famous dead person, one person the Medium, and the rest the mortals. The mortals would use the Medium to figure out who the dead person was. It was a lot of fun. I, of course, chose to be a Beatle. I was tempted to be George Harrison, but I feared no one would guess him, so I chose the more famous one John Lennon. Tema was Bob Marley, Martin was JFK, our professor was Marilyn Monroe, and Anna was Joan of Ark. It was quite entertaining.

Thursday night we decided to go out and find something to do (aka find a place to dance!). Lauren and her roommates tagged alone. One of Lauren’s roommates, a Russian girl named Margarita, doesn’t speak English and very very little Spanish. She had a flyer to a place called Isla Marina, and we tried to go there. But we realized it was not in walking distance so we stopped and just sat on the sand for a bit. It was calming, beautiful, and romantic As Lauren put it, “Where are the boyfriends when you need them?” My thoughts exactly.

Afterwards we headed back to el Barrio where all the bars are. We finally made it to this placed called Carpe Diem; it seemed to attract people our age so we went in and danced for a bit. Afterwards we headed to another pub called Mulligans. At first the guy at the door wasn’t sure if he should let me and Tema in; we apparently looked younger than 18.  Not much was going on so we left.

However, we were excited because the next day we weren’t going to class. That’s right, we went to Granada instead :)

No comments:

Post a Comment